- 50-yard dash: Google's adjusting search results during the Olympics to give you video and more: "Searches will turn up athlete bios, medal tallies and schedules, while the Google mobile search app can notify you when there are event and medal wins." Google, which owns YouTube, also is sending a corps of popular YouTubers to cover the Olympics. It's big business: Some 2.85 billion people are expected to livestream the games.
- Bronze medal platform: Vine, which pioneered short-form video, is in a slump, thanks to Facebook and YouTube. A good look here at how platforms are ranked in importance.
- Diehard fans: "At the beginning of 2011, 55% of the people who used Facebook every month also used it every day. Now, the percentage is 66%."
- One for the record book: If you've published a book, you can add content to your Amazon author page. Here's how.
- A low score from the German judge: Facebook is going to push clickbait posts lower down in your news feed. I WAS SHOCKED to learn they've analyzed words used in clickbait headlines, as well as the source sites, to tweak the FB algorithm...so if you've been rewriting headlines to imitate the trend, get thee back to your desk.
- Let's go to the videotape: LinkedIn is inviting "influencers" to publish videos in your newsfeed. And Facebook is testing ads in its Facebook Live livestreaming videos.
- Banned from competing: Part of the success of Donald Trump's recent "Ask Me Anything" session on Reddit involved blocking 2,200 accounts attempting to post questions.
- Week in review: This week, my Moderating Panels blog looked at the practice of window-dressing all-male panels with female moderators. On this blog, I prompted Is that one blog post or five? Use your listicles to create more content.
- Medal in your event: Buy my ebook, The Eloquent Woman's Guide to Moderating Panels; tell your colleagues to put this blog in their feeds; sign up for my free monthly newsletter, or let me know how we can work together in 2016 with an email to eloquentwoman at gmail.com. And if you'll be in Europe in October or have comms colleagues there, come to my Be an Expert on Working with Experts workshop, taking place in Austria, or my metaphor workshop in Edinburgh, described below.
Join me in Edinburgh, Scotland, on October 20 for a new workshop, Add Meaning with Metaphor: Improve your Speeches with the Most Powerful Figure of Speech. It's a pre-conference workshop at the Edinburgh Speechwriters and Business Communicators Conference, designed to help both speakers and speechwriters use this powerful tool. You can register here for just the workshop, the conference, or both. UPDATE: The early registration discount has been extended to August 15.