- Ear to the ground: Facebook's adding capabilities in virtual reality audio and 360 video.
- Garden superhero? Amazon now offers an unlimited comics subscription for $5.99 per month. What are you doing for your super-users?
- Fertilizer: A study of 10 million Facebook posts from users with an average age of 26 found that men swear more in their posts than do women.
- Let a thousand languages bloom: Facebook auto-translates 200 million lines of text every day.
- The weekend weed: How to stop companies and advertisers from tracking you on Facebook actually works, if you do all the steps. But they don't make it easy: Undo-ing your trackers happens one at a time, and you may have hundreds of keywords tagged in different categories. Took me about an hour. You'll learn that many entities you've liked also are tagging you for ads, and if you've liked, for example, one company, suddenly anything mentioning "company" becomes a tag.
- Garden gnomes? Corporations chasing the millennials audience--like unicorns--are missing some key points about this (and any) audience.
- Raised beds: Lots of changes at Twitter. It's confirmed that your photos and links won't count against the 140-character limit. And @ mentions are changing--no more periods needed before the @, and more.
- Flora, Fauna, and Meriweather: Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel movies are coming to Netflix, exclusively, starting in September. The deal, struck in 2012, includes new-release movies.
- Garden gloves needed: You've read about eyestrain and screens. But tech has also has changed our hands and how we use them. A thoughtful read before you swipe or tap again.
- Week in review: This week, my Moderating Panels blog looked at moving up from moderator to master of ceremonies. On this blog, I looked at making the case for publicizing scientific retractions.
- Plant a seed: Buy my ebook, The Eloquent Woman's Guide to Moderating Panels; tell your colleagues to put this blog in their feeds; sign up for my free monthly newsletter, or let me know how we can work together in 2016 with an email to eloquentwoman at gmail.com.
Friday, May 27, 2016
@dontgetcaught on Twitter and curated here just for you. Lettuce all get smarter by Monday, starting now: