- What's a press release? Apparently, a new shift in Google's algorithm means press releases may head higher in search results. Much remains to be seen on this one.
- What's a Blendle? Hang on to your hats, kids: A Dutch service that lets newspapers charge readers 20 cents to access a single article has just signed the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and the Washington Post to its service. An experiment that may be just the tip of the iceberg.
- What's a Google contact? New features in Google contacts make it easier to keep them updated and get rid of duplicates.
- What time is it? You'd better know the PR struggles of Daylight Savings Time if you use embargoes, pitch to reporters in many times zones, or just want to keep up.
- What is the meaning of life? Altucher Confidential tackles the ultimate guide to changing your life. Long, good read.
- What's a Twitter account? I know, I know, you have trouble keeping up one Twitter account. But terrorist group ISIS has mastered Twitter, with 46,000 accounts. Stop complaining.
- What's a search result? It's 800 percent better to have your search result on page 1 of the results, and news sites do that best. Here are lessons from journalists on how marketers can emulate that success record.
- What's a promoted tweet? You can now see promoted tweets, trends and accounts in your Twitter stream. Here are the extensions to help you get rid of them, a good reminder to those of you using promoted anything that there's usually a way to avoid it.
- What's a wearable? Suddenly, everyone's making computers you strap to your face is just the kind of headline that would require someone to fetch the smelling salts for the Dowager Countess. This article takes you through all the big players in this burgeoning field.
- What is a TED talk? Join me for What goes into a TED-quality talk, my pre-conference workshop at the Spring Speechwriters and Business Communicators Conference in Cambridge, UK, this April. The workshop will help you learn how to craft and deliver a talk in the style of TED, whether you're getting ready for a TEDx conference, writing a speech for someone else, or aiming to do a presentation in this popular style. Go to this link for more details on what's included, as well as a significant discount. The workshop is on 15 April, and the conference is 16-17 April. Please join me!
Friday, March 13, 2015
Twitter via @dontgetcaught and then curate the best bits here for you, but that would only lead to more questions.) Let's find a butler to bring us something restorative while we contemplate the weekend, and tip our favorite hats to Cynthia Manley for the fabulous image:
No need to keep your skills downstairs, communicators. Join the family and elevate your knowlege: sign up for my free monthly newsletter, register for my workshop, buy my new ebook on moderating panel discussions, or let me know how we can work together in 2015 with an email to eloquentwoman at gmail.com.
And on a sad note, FriendFeed--a once-vibrant social network that was bought by Facebook to become your newsfeed--is no more, finally shut down. Those of us who used it loved it, and Louis Gray has an appreciation that captures what our community there felt.