- In training: Lincoln's Cottage is one of my favorite off-the-beaten-track historic sites in Washington, DC. See how it's getting laser-scanned for future digital projects.
- Heartbreak non-hill: Pew's 2014 social media report notes flat growth for Facebook, and a soar for Instagram, among many other data points. Among them: More than half of adults use two or more social sites.
- Use the recommended route: Twizoo is a recommendation site based on freely available data from Twitter, using algorithms to find restaurants and other businesses recommended by tweeters. The founders shared this nugget: They've found that, for every one Yelp or TripAdvisor review for a new restaurant, there are seven recommendation tweets. Restaurant owners, you know what to do.
- Runner's bib? #JeSuisCharlie is not the most-used-ever hashtag. See how it measures up.
- Racing ahead: Along with the surge in WhatsApp users comes this news: The popular messaging service, free worldwide, now sends 30 billion messages a day--and that's 10 billion more than SMS, leading some to ask whether texting is in decline.
- Race over here: Amherst College's communications office is looking for a social and new media manager.
- To the finish: Registration is closed for my Feb. 4 workshop, Be an Expert on Working with Experts. You can get on the wait list for the next session by signing up here.
- Race in progress: Come to my pre-conference workshop at the Spring Speechwriters and Business Communicators Conference in Cambridge, UK, this April. What goes into a TED-quality talk will help speakers, speechwriters and conference organizers understand how to craft and deliver a talk in the style of TED, whether you're getting ready for a TEDx conference or just a presentation in this popular style. Go to this link for more details on what's included, as well as a significant discount. The workshop is on 15 April, and the conference is 16-17 April.
Friday, January 16, 2015
@dontgetcaught on Twitter, and curated the best here for you. Let's set the pace for the weekend: