- Be a front-bencher: Putting your self(ie) into an Instagram photo means it's a third more likely to get likes and comments.
- So moved: Need new ideas? Here are some simple tricks for better brainstorming.
- I've just been alerted... You now have options for language and region filters for Google Alerts, making them even more useful as a communications get-smart tool.
- Proposals we can all get behind: Catch up with nonprofit and individual video winners of the YouTube DoGooder Awards, and via SlideShare, the presentations from South by Southwest.
- Fast track legislation: You can find tweets from my talk at Parliament via the hashtag #fwneloquent, and here's a great guide from the National Wildlife Federation on tools for tracking any hashtag.
- Press conference: The Pew Research Center's 2014 report on the state of the media is out.
- No position on the royal wedding: For $3,000, a "social media concierge" for W hotels will live-tweet your wedding. I'm thinking of changing careers.
- Please explain, Minister: I've already cast a withering eye at journalism's sudden discovery of explainers and evergreen topics, something that's been around for decades and just ignored because they aren't as sexy to reporters as news. But they're big with audiences. So here's an explainer about explainers, aka "explanatory journalism," and this one includes a useful short roundup about what major media companies are doing in this space. The good news: You don't need to be a journo to take advantage of this.
- Parliamentary two-step: Tumblr just got two-step authentication. Here's how to turn it on.
- In chambers: Gotta figure this works for event planners or any public speaker who's sizing up a room: An iPhone app that scans the room and creates a floor plan.
Friday, March 28, 2014
Fabian Women's Network at the House of Commons of the British Parliament, about how to succeed as a speaker. Now that's a nice way to end the week. But you don't need to feel like a back-bencher. The weekend's front and center. I've got the usual curated list of my finds and reads shared on my Twitter feed for you. All rise...
We're adjourned--but not before I thank you for being present today, and every Friday. Have a wonderful weekend!