- Tropical...diseases? Here, some tips for cleaning the mobile germ warehouse that is your tablet or smartphone.
- Warming to native ads: The New York Times launched a redesign of its website this week. One thing you may have missed: Native ads--content sponsored by advertisers--will be more in use, as will more online video and photography.
- Heat-seeking speech: The 2013 Twitter Glossary will help you decode how we speak on the Twitter.
- Working for tips in the beach bar: Go play with Google Tips, a site that helps you get the most out of Google with suggestions for using its apps. You click on cards that revolve to show you what to do and which apps you need--fun and useful. Backupify's blog has more here.
- Benchwarmers? The Associated Press is "beefing up" its bench in the wake of accusations of understaffing. State government beats will have priority...
- Tsunami or a nice beach? Here's what journalism needs to be doing to survive 2014.
- Because warming to this: The American Dialect Society has named "because" word of the year, "because useful!" in the words of one supporter. Don't worry. The group also designated "Sharknado" as "most unnecessary" word of the year. Just because.
- Tanning bed: You'll warm to this list of useful lessons from the New York Times social media desk.
- Desert island directions: Emma Darwin's 12 tools (not rules) of writing, from her fabulously named blog, The Itch of Writing. Worth a follow.
- The warmth of other blogging platforms: Check out LiveBlogPro, a real-time tool that journalists use, with features like these: "your blog’s comments go straight to Twitter if you so choose, blog posts are mobile-friendly and unlimited, you can upload images as you wish (always a helpful tool in the field) and more. Everyone starts out with a free trial, and the lowest monthly package costs about $16 for those small publishers with 1,000 readers or less."
- Let's all go on the cruise: Here are 20 LinkedIn groups every marketer should join. SEO, social media, business development and more.
Friday, January 10, 2014
Let me say warmly--and I mean warmly--how very nice it is to have you hanging around this archipelago of curated stuff again on a Friday. Thanks for reading!