- Small business blogging, easy: Lots of organizations use Tumblr because it feels easier than a full-blown blog. If you're an entrepreneur, try this quick and dirty guide to Tumblr for small business.
- Get your slides moving: PowerPoint's blog has a free tutorial on creating animations in your presentations.
- Knock yourself out? Websites can now block you from pinning images and articles onto Pinterest. I say, great--more traffic for the rest of us.
- New kids on the block, like the Google +1 button, can impact your SEO--worth figuring out, as you decide where to put your energy.
- I like 4 and 5 and you'll have to tell me if 7 is true: Twitter founder Biz Stone gave a speech cautioning about assumptions, but said if you're going to make them, make them these 7 rules to live by.
- Obviously, it's working for him: While you weren't looking, Twitter has reportedly hit 500 million users.
- I don't need to tell you twice, nonprofits: YouTube has a "YouTube Next Cause" summit April 2 in San Francisco to help nonprofits figure out how to use online video for community engagement. "Of the 16,000 organizations in YouTube’s non-profit program, about 30 have received more than 10 million views on their videos and 271 have received more than 1 million views." Don't forget: Online video is still the strongest trend in social media.
- I know this bug. I've met this bug: Facebook's insights for pages are lagging behind by a few days, a known bug that has the company's attention.
- Carlin. What else do you need? For a little inspiration, The Improvised Life blog puts together a video interview with George Carlin and a tribute to him by Louis C.K. to tell you how 'not giving a sh*t can really help you a lot.' Take a couple of minutes to watch both the videos in this post and think about what they mean in your world.
- Who's in NYC next week? Mid-week, I'm in Manhattan to attend the winter party of Science Writers In New York. Yes, the acronym is pronounced that way; they even have a partying swine as their social logo. Let me know if we can meet up there, or elsewhere.
Friday, February 24, 2012
my Twitterstream. Take a load off with these finds: