- Audience on alert: Tonight, I'm going to hear Dan Gillmor speak at the New America Foundation here in Washington about his new book Mediactive, a User's Guide to Democratized Media, in which he tells audience members how to "upgrade" themselve to be better consumers and creators of information. Gillmor directs the Knight Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship at Arizona State University. Happy to ask questions you send me in advance--and I hope to blog about this talk, too.
- The art of women and business: The Corcoran Gallery of Art Busines and Professional Women's networking luncheon will find me at the gallery on January 18. A tour of the current color school exhibit is promised, as well as some good networking.
- Crisis communications: I'll be at the IABC-DC breakfast meeting January 20 at the Discovery Channel headquarters in Maryland to hear how communicators there handled an on-site hostage-taking in September 2010. Email me if you want a question asked, or join me--I can register you as a guest at a discount.
- Communicating science: I'll be working with food scientists in Chicago on February 15, doing a private workshop on communicating scientific information clearly to non-scientists--in the workplace and in public. I have some windows of time on the 14th and 16th while there, so let me know if you want to meet.
- Improving and updating your online profiles: Back in Washington on February 18, I'm hosting The Networked Communicator lunch-and-learn at the National Press Club. You get to network with other communicators and eat a great lunch while learning which options for online profiles--some stand-alone, some on social networks--will best show off your skills, drive traffic to your website or serve as your website. Please do register at the link and share with colleagues.
Use the Evernote clip button, above, to save this post in an Evernote notebook. Subscribe to For Communications Directors, my free monthly newsletter, which features content before it appears here on the blog. If you do, you get discounts on registration for two upcoming workshops in February and March on networking online and on dynamic speaking skills.